BE AWARE: Call Us (08) 9240 5888 before transferring any funds

(08) 9240 5888


Shift your roadblocks to a happier healthy you with a free 45min explore breathwork session.


Don’t Let Home Renovation Make You Sick

Aug 29, 2016

If you are thinking of doing a home renovation in Perth, you need to be aware of the ways it can make you sick. There are a lot of toxic materials involved in renovating a home. Most people know about how harmful asbestos can be but did you know there are plenty of ordinary, everyday substances that can make you sick?

Prolonged exposure to glue, paint, varnish, flooring and carpets can also be harmful to your health. Basically, any building material can contain toxins that can compromise your health. Some chemicals can cause a risk via long-term exposure. In particular, there is a troublesome class of toxins called bio-accumulators that can build up in your body.

Don’t Let Home Renovation Make You Sick

Some of these bio-accumulators eventually cause reactions such as headaches, watery eyes, scratchy throat or allergic reactions. Here are a few of the worst and what to do about it.

Asbestos and Lead Paint

These should never be removed by an amateur. They represent too great a risk to your health. Professionals know how to remove these substances from your home without putting you or your family at risk.


Modern paints don’t have lead but they still have plenty of volatile organic compounds (VOC’s). VOC’s are chemicals such as those that cause “new paint smell.” They are emitted from the paints at room temperature and can cause various health problems. Many paint companies now make paints with low levels of VOC’s but most home renovators don’t bother to buy them.

These paints can be more expensive, so some renovators don’t always use them.

If you are doing the renovation yourself, there are precautions you can take. For example, if you are removing old paint, wear goggles and a mask. Then seal off the rest of your home and vacuum away all of the dust with a HEPA filtered vacuum.

Call the Home Renovation Professionals

There are many more toxic materials, like fluorescent lights, timber dust, panel board products, flooring, carpets, sealants, glues and adhesives. Unless you are ready to take care of all of these products, call Next Level Extensions and let us do the work: professionally, quietly and safely.

Call 1300 948 094 today.

Enjoy this article? Consider sharing it:

You may also like:

Getting the house ready for Christmas

Getting the house ready for Christmas

It’s the season to be jolly! Everyone gets thrilled when we talk about Christmas. This is the time of year when ...
Ready to investigate some renovation

Ready to investigate some renovation

Home renovations are a milestone for any couple, family, and individual homeowner. It’s a life-changing project ...
Benefits of Home Improvements

Benefits of Home Improvements

As one of the foremost builders of home improvements in Perth, we feel uniquely qualified to tell you about the ...